Sent: Saturday, 24 April 2004 1:05 AM
Subject: A closing chapter on the Morde saga?

Short of anything dramatic happening, this will be my
closing word to you on the Morde saga for the moment.

On April 21 at 11.30am Morde's car sped from the
prison, leaving behind a scene of chaos.

By noon Morde had arrived at St George's Cathedral
for prayers with the Bishop and other well-wishers.
Meanwhile I was winding my way back to Tel Aviv.

There was a meeting of supporters scheduled for 4pm,
but Phil (the other Aussie member of the contingent)
and I felt that we could do with a quiet lunch, so we
headed into the city for lunch, a beer, and my email

We got back to the hostel where everybody was staying by 5pm and found none of the other supporters there at all. That's OK I thought. The celebration dinner wasn't scheduled until 8pm, and the resteraunt was only 5 minutes away by foot, so Phil and I thought
we'd lie down for a while.

Thank God for Ed, the friendly Herald reporter, who
rang at 10 minutes before 8pm and woke me to ask me where I was. He was at the resteraunt, and we joined him there within 10 minutes. The real surprise came when we got there. The dinner had been can- celled. This was not a huge suprise. The security risk had been great. But where had it been relocated to?

I tried ringing Morde's brother. No answer. I tried
other numbers I had. Eventually I got the head of the
British 'free Vanunu' campaign. They were at the
Cathedral in Jerusalem with Morde. This was about an hour away. I was told that I probably should not to
bother coming, as the group were winding up their
meeting with Morde, but that there might be another
opportunit*y to meet Morde on Friday. My heart fell.

Once again it was Ed the friendly reporter who came to my aid - volunteering to drive us to the Cathedral,
even though he knew there was no possibility of him
getting in and getting a story out of it. Ed took us
via a shortcut through the West bank! This would mean a security check and we didn't have our passports. Ed assured us that they normally only stopped you if your skin was dark. We looked very white that night. The guys with the machine-guns waved us straight through.

Ed dropped us outside the Cathedral, and we stood
there in the cold. The gate was crowded with reporters, and the security guard said that nobody
could come in, regardless of whether they were wearing a collar or not. The other supporters had clearly all gone home. There was no one on the inside that we could contact by phone. We waited there for some time and we had not come dressed for cold weather.

Then the Israeli equivalent of the Pizza delivery boy
arrived with bread and homous. When the guard came to the gate, I aksed him to pass on my card to somebody on the inside. He made no promise to pass it on to anybody, but within a few minutes he returned to the gate and allowed me to come in. I walked only a few metres around the corner into the waiting room and ... there was Morde, sitting on a couch facing me.

What followed was a lot more tears than words. I
haven't cried like that since my dad died. We
embraced for a long time, and I really didn't know
what to say. (nb. before any of you guys start
telling me that I'm a purse-carrying nancy-boy,
be reminded that I haven't lost my left hook!)

I'm now staying in the Cathedral as a guest of the
Bishop. It appears that he's given me his own
private apartment there, and I am greatly humbled.
It's still illegal for me to talk to Morde, and I'm
not going to do anything that will lead to my
friend's re-arrest, but I can't express in words how
much it has meant to me to be reunited with him, even
if we haven't got the freedom yet to sit back and
while away the hours together.

Thank you for your prayers and support. Please
continue to uphold Morde. His ongoing safety is still
very much a concern.

God bless you and thank you for sharing this momentous occasion with me.

subscribe to the newsletter Keep in Contact. Subscribe to my Newsletter. Click here.